Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Blogger.com Vs. Edublogs.org

Blogger.com has been banned from my school district. I first asked for help here. I still have not been able to solve my problem. So, if you can help, please do. I am not going to win the blogger.com argument with my tech people because of that whole log in page access to "questionable" sites.
The problem is edublogs.org, the site allowed by the district. I am not technicologically smart. And I can't figure out how to add users. For example:

User A creates a blog. "A" is the teacher. "A" wants to add multiple users who can author posts for his central class blog. So, User A has a student sign up with edublogs.org.

The student creates an account, which also creates a new individual blog, under the User B name and password.

User A then logs in to his blog and adds a User B as an author. "A" then asks "B" to log in and publish a post.

User B, goes to edublogs.org and logs in with her password. "B" then types a post and hits publish. The post publishes on User B's blog and not on User A's centrally located blog.

Does anyone know how to get User B to publish on User A's blog without User A giving User B his log in information?

And, it really shouldn't be this difficult. I should be able to use blogger.com like I have for the past two years.

6 Comments:

At 4:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken, edublogs.org is run on Word Press. This is what their FAQ says:

***How do I add users to my blog?If you want a collaborative blog or to just add users all you have to do is to ask them to create their own blog here and then use the "Add user from community" option in Users: Authors & Users (the bonus is that they get their own blog too!)***

I know in Word Press, all you have to do is add folks in your Users tab (when you log in, there is a blue bar across the top that reads from L to R: Dashboard, Write, Manage, Links, Presentation, Plugins, Users, Options, Import.

I would think edublogs.org has the "Users" tab. Under Users, there are two tabs: Your Profile and Authors and Users. If I click on Authors and Users, I see an area where I can add a new user.

 
At 6:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an edublog. The adding users thing is just as Dana says.

I like my edublog. I am trying to use classblogmeister with my kiddos though.

 
At 4:25 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

Reddog,
Feel free. What you will find when you contact my district is that I have indeed taken full measure to keep students safe. I wonder where it was in any of my posts that I claimed to want to not keep my students safe? My favorite part about commentors on blogs is that individuals like yourself, who obviously have reading comprehension issues, can feel free to make ludicrous remarks without having done any actual critical thinking.

 
At 8:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geeez, can't you educators disagree without invectives or put downs?
And, by the way, proper english dictates that one might "try to contact..." rather than "try and contact...."

 
At 6:46 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

"ditto"

 
At 7:33 PM , Blogger M. Mitchell said...

This hasn't been updated for quite some time, but I was searching for a "blogger vs. edublogs" forum and discovered this. I've been quite happy with Blogger, though my school district started the new school here in Ontario, CAN with a new Joomla mother space. It stinks, in my opinion. So, I just link out from my spot on the Joomla to my Blogger page (http://mgmitchell.blogspot.com). Also, I like PBworks. Great site and very functional. I use both. I'm going to stay clear of Edublogs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home