Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Breast Cancer Gets Spiked

On my wedding day, I had a prayer by Frederick Buechner read. It asked God to catch us off guard today with some moment of beauty or grace. Today, as I looked up last night's high school sports results from the Everett Herald (I still keep tabs on the school I came from), I came across this story about Cascade High School.
The Varsity Volleyball squad from Cascade will face off against in-district rival Everett High School. The moment of beauty in the article? Two teams coming together to fight breast cancer. The match "will prominently feature the color pink, which the Komen foundation uses to bring attention to its cause. The teams plan to use pink-and-white volleyballs, wear pink uniforms and sell pink T-shirts for $10. For each shirt sold, $7 goes to the Komen Foundation."
Now, I will admit to bias in my reporting of this story. I taught at Cascade High School for four years before moving this summer to my native Connecticut. But I will say that if you are ever wondering where all of the selfless considerate young people are, stop in at Cascade High School during their annual food drive.
The two Cascade players mentioned are truly amazing young people--the type of people that great schools need if they want to stay great.
I have used this blog to explore educational issues, to define my love for teaching, and to vent my frustrations. But there is no post more worthy of a wide range of readership than this one. So, if you would, please share this article with anyone wondering what is happening to the young people in public schools today.
Oh yeah, Go Bruins!

9 Comments:

At 8:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your heart, Andrew.

 
At 10:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work for One Laptop per Child, and as an educator your opinion matters a lot to me. Based on your blog's focus on education and you interest in social causes, I thought it would be great if we talked.

my email is ygarcia@digitalinfluencegroup.com
781-895-7705

Thank You

 
At 8:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given a chance to be wonderful, most kids will be, it's always been that way, it always will be.

Joe

 
At 3:23 PM , Blogger Sara said...

I was lucky enough to be there. Although it was a tough loss for the girls, it was truly an amazing night that was about so much more than winning or losing.

 
At 5:16 PM , Blogger Judy Gregerson said...

Hello from a Cascade High School parent. I just fell into your blog and was surprised at what a small world it truly is!

Judy Gregerson

 
At 5:17 AM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

Judy,
I hope you like my blog enough to keep visiting. I marked yours to go back an peruse.

 
At 5:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing such nice posts. Your blog is always fascinating to read.

 
At 9:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey McNamar,

With all the Cascade love you've shown recently, I'm looking forward to seeing a post about Grady Sizemore and how you will be rooting for the former Bruin to lead the Indians to the World Series.

See ya - Roberts

 
At 1:52 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

Though I am proud to have taught at Cascade, Grady Sizemore's contribution to CHS came before my time there. So, by virtue of the governing rules, I am not obligated to root for Grady to "lead the Indians to the World Series"(Roberts 1).
Go Red Sox

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home