Monday, December 08, 2008

Food Drive (Day One)

Today marked the start of the first annual (I hope) food drive at W.G.A.S.H. I learned how to run a school wide drive by watching the students and faculty at the school I taught at in Washington (See this post or this one).
My current school has never done a food drive that tried to incorporate the entire student body so the challenges have already manifested themselves. Today, the freshmen were supposed to be stationed at the local grocery store to collect food. No one showed up other than the senior student council members assigned to help monitor the young ones. Oh well. We still collected around 400 items.
That was phenomenal. The vice-principal stopped by and noted that we've already collected what previous food drives have collected in their entirety (previous drives have been very small scale and perhaps not well advertised).
Well, I hope tomorrow nets more students participating, but more importantly, I hope we can bring in over 500 items.

3 Comments:

At 8:02 PM , Blogger Jenna said...

You have to start somewhere and I firmly believe that getting students involved in helping others (even if they need the same help) is so important to their future success. As it grows into a tradition, it will have an even greater impact on the students and the community

We've had some success in our school in getting classes to create baskets of items that we auction off at a later date. The money is then donated along with the food to the local food bank. If you're interested in further details, drop me a line.

 
At 8:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a crock. Your school has had annual food drives for years.

 
At 5:36 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

Forgive me anonymous for only repeating what others have told me--that other, smaller efforts have been limited to individual groups as opposed to a concerted effort like what the three groups are trying this year.
And, while I'm at it, at least have the fortitude to put your name to comments, otherwise I view you as a faceless and pathetic moron.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home