Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Food Drive (Day Two)

I'm exhausted. I sent out an e-mail last week and yesterday seeking the assistance of my colleagues in overseeing the students collecting the food. To this point, only one teacher has offered to help early next week. That is not a complaint; because can one really complain when an additional 350 items were added to the coffers.
The Sophomores didn't show up tonight, so again the Seniors will get the credit. I've got to find a way to get more students involved. Here's a few comments from students as I talked to them about the success of yesterday's efforts:

"I'm not going to stand there for three hours."
"Ain't nobody helpin' me."
"Nah. I don't help people."

The vicarious experience can often be the most powerful. So, I told them stories from last night and how people donated more items than they bought for themselves. I told them about the mom and child, food stamps in hand, dropping off two cans of green beans.
How can I convince more than the Student Council, National Honor Society, and DECA leaders to participate?

2 Comments:

At 7:47 PM , Blogger Jenna said...

I'm pretty sure that our local food drive was pretty small those first few years, but the one thing it really had going for it was the aspect of competition. I know that it's supposed to be all about giving (and that does get squeezed in there), but to be honest the thought of the neighboring town getting more donations is probably the biggest motivator.

Can you involve sports teams? Our cheerleaders/dance team do a lot of work on the weeklong fundraiser and they usually attract a number of male "helpers". Or coaches might be persuaded to use it as a team building exercise?

 
At 8:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recruit one-on-one, privately, emphasizing whatever it is in the kid's character that you think might make them a good fit. Ask each student who shows up to recruit one new person. Put each participant's name in a drawing for a small door prize. Have those who are doing it come in to share the successes. Get media attention (then the spotlight-friendly kids will be interested).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home