Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Crying Shame

You might hear a rumor, a nasty one rumor, from some of my students. I swear, these kids will make anything up to humiliate a teacher. Rumor has it that one of my students made me cry today. But it isn't true; I totally had something in my eye.
I'm just going to give you the facts. You can read them and come to your own conclusions, but I DID NOT CRY.
I have this one student who has driven me to the brink of chaos all year. This student is capable. This student has argued with me. This student has stormed out. This student has cussed me up and down.
Since beginning the Corrective Reading program, I have had to have this student removed from class all but two days (we started the last week of January). This student refused to participate, saying, "I'm not a dog. You can stop with the 'what word?' shit."
Yesterday this studnet showed up with 20 minutes remaining in class and just sat in the desk without even cracking open the book. But the student didn't yell or argue. Just sat there.
Today, the student showed up five minutes late. The student sat in the desk, openned book and even read for the group check out. I was thinking, "hmmm....this is strange."
Then we started the read aloud section. This has been the major stumbling block for the student. "I don't read out loud," has been the mantra.
I called on the student to read one sentence (something I had promised when I met with the student because more than one sentence was a problem).
The student read. No errors.
I asked again later: just one sentence. No problem.
Then, I called on another student whose name doesn't even sound like this student's to read a long paragraph.
The difficult student started to read. I interrupted because I hadn't called on that student. But then I stopped. Wait. "Um, oh, did you want to read this paragraph?" I asked.
"Yes. I do," the student said.
So I let the student read. And the student read. The student made some errors but didn't quit, didn't get embarrassed.
Allegedly, I got teary eyed. Allegedly, I didn't know what to say. It's a crying shame because that would have been a Hollywood moment.

6 Comments:

At 5:11 PM , Blogger Kim Hughey said...

Thanks for sharing such a great story. It made my day!

 
At 6:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! It's excellent to hear a story like this. Even through all the struggles of day to day classroom experiences, you can remember this and know it's all worth it.

 
At 7:21 PM , Blogger Amerloc said...

Amazing how much magic a dedicated teacher can create with hard work. Thank you.

 
At 7:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yessss.

 
At 8:33 AM , Blogger Karen said...

And this is why we work with kids.

 
At 7:44 AM , Blogger Margaret English said...

Well done- you soppy thing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home