Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Intimidated

Last night I attended the matriculation ceremony for the incoming class at Steppingstones Academy in Hartford. I am excited for the chance to be a part of this phenomenal organization. As these young men and women took their oath with their families, current participants, and previous graduates looking on, I felt a sense of intimidation.
I've taught 12th graders the skills to succeed at the collegiate level, but now I must teach those same skills to middle school students seeking placement in the more prestigious private high schools. I am one of the links between where they are now and where they want to go. For many, this is the opportunity they've waited their short lifetime to grasp.
It is both exciting and inimitidating.

2 Comments:

At 3:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell us more aout Stepping Stones! Is this a new position for you?

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

The Steppingstone Academy grew out of the city of Boston. In Hartford, it is partnered with the Hartford Youth Scholars Foundation. This program identifies students within urban schools who have the ability and potential for college success. The students are entered into a 14 month, rigorous academic program which results in placement in the areas top private high schools.
This is a new position, but only in a summer school capacity for the moment. One never ones where opportunity will lead, and so I am excited to be a part of this fine organization. Again, I cannot emphasize enough how impressive these young men and women came across in my first meeting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home