Sunday, January 30, 2011

I'll take it where I get it

Much of this year has been filled with frustration. I don't feel successful with my fundamental level students, and I don't feel successful with most of my college prep students (who, on pretests to start the year, scored relatively closely to the fundamental level students). But I just finished scoring the mid-term of a student I had last year as well.
The student struggled last year, especially with language. Effort and determination were also lacking. Yet on the midterm, the student's recognzied and responded to the language of literature (literary elements). The responses were undeveloped and lacked clear examples from the text, however, I will take this success and build on it. That is if we ever have school again here in the Northeast.

4 Comments:

At 11:12 AM , Blogger Mandy said...

Thanks for not giving up! What you do is so important!

 
At 11:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have mid-terms and finals that are made by the department together so that all students in the same level and grade take the same mid-term, and other levels have different tests?
Or does the staff member write his/her own test?

Soon enough the state is projected to require a standard (as opposed to standardized) test for all high school English as certain years and also for Algebra I and so forth.

Does Windham have any handle on, or committee members giving input into/helping write the changes coming? (They did for CMT.)

 
At 11:39 AM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

We still write our own mid-term and final. However, I am part of a committee working to horizontally align our classes. We are aware of the possible changes coming from the state.

 
At 5:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Braemar,

I suppose you say possible because they may be repealed? Mandated now that all graduating (5th graders now) will have passed certain state tests in several classes including Algebra I.
The CMT will be going away fairly soon nad national standards will be the framework for tests as well.

I do not subscribe to the idea that central planning and one size fits all is good for educaiton; education being a function of each state and money taking the round trip gets us high overhead costs!
Reality tells me if dept of education is not dismantled, we will be facing these one size fits all exams to graduate high school and increased credits with fewer electives.

Way to cut the drop out rate for sure. ;(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home