Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I might holdout

An NFL player, making millions of dollars, decides he wants more money because of his statistics. He is under contract and part of a player's union. If he doesn't get his already signed contract renegotiated, he will hold out. This has been a part of professional sports for a number of years now. Players wanting what they feel they have coming to them.
With the likes of Terrell Owens touting their performance and statistics, I think it is time that a few educators hold-out. Not me of course, my rookie year was mediocre. But there are some educators whose numbers are pretty good, educationally speaking. And instead of the entirety of the union members striking, individual teachers should be able to make a stink, whine like athletes, and force the hand of our districts.
Can you envision that, Mr. McNamar Demands Respect would be the headline in the Seattle Times. The beat writer for my school district would then write about my demands, a new contract equal to that of a five year veteran because "90% of my students met standard on the reading assessment. I feel disrespected by the current contract. I signed it when I was young...they took advantage of the situation." The beat writer would then offer her opinion and prediction.
The local news talk show on 710 KIRO would be flooded with calls from opinionated listeners (fans). "No way does McNamar get that. He's not worth it. My kid had him in first period, McNamar was barely awake himself. Don't you remember what he said in that mid year interview 'I'm awake when I want to be awake'" A second caller would argue, "Come on guys, McNamar has earned it. His numbers are obvious. The closest second year teacher numbers wise is Ms. Connelly, she only had 84% meet standard and her attendance numbers aren't even close. She took all three personal days and 6 sick days."
Ah, the fun we could all have, if only there was money in education. Corporate sponsors. Ticket sales. Concession stands. Merchandise. T.V. revenue.

6 Comments:

At 2:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that this is a silly suggestion at all, certainly not in locales with serious community support for raising test scores.

The teachers' unions would hate it, but the question is whether they'd have any way to put an end to it. In states where you have to be in the union, you can have the union contract forced on you, but wouldn't this be possible in right-to-work states?

 
At 9:18 PM , Blogger Coach Brown said...

Hahahaha!

Now this is a beautiful post! Thanks for the laugh!

 
At 2:52 AM , Blogger Mrs. Ris said...

Yeah, but then I'd have to hate you like I hate T.O. And all your teaching colleagues would hate you too. And don't forget, you'd have to maintain those stats even tho this year you'd be assigned the hardest core kids... and believe me, you'd get that assignment from a disgruntled admin. Unless, of course, you could get it in your contract that you only teach the bright, motivated kids.

And then we'd have to put up with your cameo appearances on TV, locking lips with beautiful desperate housefraus, who drop their clothing just for the chance to...well, you know.

Finally, you'd have to become a tiresome, arrogant, self-important ingrate.

Do I sound bitter. I guess I am.

Finally, I browsed through some blogging sites last night, and I wish I could remember where I read this, but the writer/teacher identifies a most fabulous way to improve student achievement in poverty stricken, diverse, challenging schools/districts: make the teachers who are selected for the assignments millionaires.

 
At 10:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the mother of a dyslexic sophomore about to face the WASL.
And I have a question. (I have had LOTS of questions over the years and they seldom get answered as I have a sneaking suspicion that 'they' don't know the answers yet.)
But this Level 2 and Level 3 means nothing to me.
Somewhere I think I read in your previous blogs that a passing mark is more like 80%. Right now I have him working on some prepatory stuff and he's cruising along at 72-73% and I'm thinking that is pretty darn good when you consider where he was in middle school.
He's in honors geometry and AP Bio, he's a SMART kid but with his dyslexia he doesn't show it language.
So is it 80%, this magic level 3?

Thank you and I say hold out, get an agent and a reality show while you are at it!

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

A reality show! That might be the next post!

 
At 4:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often thought that teachers should be paid, along with their regular salary, a small percentage of the future earnings of their students. The IRS could handle this sharing of wealth as part of the federal government's meddling NCLB policy. Of course, before teachers receive their yearly tax credit from former students who have become successful, the government should subtract enough money to pay the cost of imprisoning any former students who have become a burden to society. I am thinking that such an arrangement might inspire teachers to take seriously their professional and societal responsibilities--and, I hope, make them very wealthy by the time they retire.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home