Wednesday, October 04, 2006

WWSD? 2nd edition

You are four weeks into the school year and it is obvious you have one of those classes. The ones when the students feel free to share their inner thoughts about how fantastic you are as a teacher. They've not had a great deal of success over the last two years, and this is just one more year they'll find a way to botch.
A student wants to use the bathroom, but the last two times you've allowed him to, he apparantly gets constipated as he tries to finish the New York Times Crossword Puzzle. This time, you are determined to teach him that using the bathroom is a privilege. So, you don't let him go.
He then stands in front of you waving his planner/hall pass while you try to teach the last ten minutes of your class. I'm not sure what Spellings would do, but I'd love to hear what you would do?

*Disclaimer: The WWSD? editions may or may not reflect real events; and the ones that are real, may or may not come from my classroom experience.

2 Comments:

At 6:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would tell him to tie a knot in it and shut up!! It's only ten minutes!

 
At 7:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly? I'd write him up and send him out if possible...Except my AP typically has bus duty. So I'd stop class and silently write the goober up, then proceed to exit slips.

Depending on how magnanimous I felt, I would talk to him the next class and tell him I would "forget" I had the form until he did something to remind me I had such a thing ready to go. Or I'd hand deliver that thing to the AP after the bell.

It's not a very earth-shattering tactic, but it's what I'm most likely to actually do.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home