Wednesday, February 14, 2007

It's only a matter of time.

Father, please forgive me. I watched King 5 news this evening because of teaser during Oprah. I know; I vowed never to watch that damn station again after what they tried to do to me. But, I found it ironic that they would do a story on "dirty dancing" two years after they tried to ruin my career for commenting on the attire worn to such dances. Have mercy on my soul.
Okay, now that I have made peace, the local NBC news reported a story about a local high school that is contemplating the end to school dances because the dancing is inappropriate.
This issue is a serious concern for educators. What do we do about the growing trend towards the raunchy side of life? As our pop culture continues to put forth a glamorous view of Paris Hilton, Linsay Lohan, and Britney Spears, our youth are battling for their self-respect--and we don't seem to notice.
I've been reading Margaret Meeker's book, Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters. The assualt on the values of our teenagers is readily detailed by the author. I'm not a doom and gloom person--in fact, I'm quite the opposite. But the statistics are scary.
I've advocated for it before, but maybe it is high time that schools got out of the dance business altogether.

1 Comments:

At 6:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just learned of Meg Meeker's efforts for teenagers. If you haven't already, I hope you will also consider reading "Unprotected: A Campus Psychiatrist Reveals How Political Correctness in Her Profession Endangers Every Student" by Anonymous, M.D. (since identified as Miriam Grossman).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home