Sunday, May 20, 2007

Senior Failure List

When the fourth quarter grades are finalized, all teachers who have seniors begin to fill out our Possible Senior Failure List. The list generates letters that are sent to the parents. A small percentage of my students were on this list to start. But as fourth quarter has progressed--there are only 17 days left for seniors--my Possible Senior Failure List has grown.
What bothers me most is that I seem to care more about this growing list than the students on the list. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

3 Comments:

At 12:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, what happens to the seniors who fail? Are they still allowed to "walk" with their classes at graduation? Summer school?

I didn't have any seniors failing, thank goodness. Even though you and I both know the kids do it to themselves, and you must have given them ample warning and opportunity to bring up their grades, it's hard not to look like the bad guy.

 
At 2:30 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

Dana,
Since fourth quarter began, I have made three official contacts with parents (in addition to the contact made by the administration). The first e-mail contact I made netted may a 10% response.
I am not sure if student who need to make up the credit walk during the initial graduation or wait until the August graduation. I do know that for many of my seniors, the credit doesn't matter because we only require 3.5 credits of English.

 
At 6:07 PM , Blogger Dan Edwards said...

For some, I guess it is time to pay the piper. Most people seem to have to learn life's lessons the hard way.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home