Monday, April 21, 2008

Just Desserts

Returning to the them of Civil Disobedience, The Daily Grind (and yes, I am aware that I've been referring to myself in third person titular) is happy to see a school district get it handed to them by a teacher who stood up for what is right.
These types of firing will become more frequent as a result of centralizing power at the broader school administrative level. My biggest fear as I consider a move out of the classroom and into administration is that I loose touch with what is most important--the students.
In this case, Kay Powers, the teacher, was teaching the students much more thant a lesson in journalism. She was teaching her students that if you believe in something rational, then sometimes it is worth fighting for--even if it might cost you your job.
The Daily Grind applauds Ms. Powers for fighting against the district. What the Everett Public Schools should learn from this is simple: power corrupts; and absolute power corrupts absolutely. POWER TO THE PEOPLE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home