Tuesday, January 27, 2009

re:Start

We were supposed to begin the Corrective Reading program yesterday; that didn't happen. In fact, not all of the students had been placed, and I hadn't received the student books.
I'm read to begin the program because I couldn't care less how prescriptive it is; if students learn to read, then let's make it happen. Though that is a bit disingenuous. I want our students to learn from the Corrective Reading, I just don't want to read the script to them.
Ultimately though, I'd like to restart this process and have it work much better. The district decided to use Corrective Reading but didn't make that choice in time to allow this year's schedule to accomodate the program. As a result, we are trying to fit the program into a schedule that isn't designed for mid-year program changes. I would have waited until next year to implement the program allowing for a seamless transition from the status quo.

5 Comments:

At 3:06 PM , Blogger rk said...

The kids are fortunate to have you!

 
At 4:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This explains why, for teachers at least, you can be disgruntled, but you can never be gruntled.

By the way, you've put up with my comments for quite a while now without my having to expose my teaching to your strutiny. I've just finished a first draft (minus appendices) of a manuscript about my teaching practice. If you'd like a chance to hit back, I'd be willing to email it to you. If you're interested, email me and I'll attach it to a reply.

 
At 5:12 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

Joe, I'd love to read your manuscript, but not necessarily to hit back. Is there an e-mail address I can request it from?

 
At 11:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure, i thought the blog revealed my email address to you. Email me at Jbellacero@aol.com and I'll send it along.

 
At 5:52 PM , Blogger KDeRosa said...

Did you get those that can neither decode nor comprehend or those that can decode but can't comprehend?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home