Monday, March 16, 2009

Funding

This disastrous economy coupled with working in a low-income district has pushed my wife and I into cautious panic for the moment. Last year, I was on the chopping block due to my status as low man on the pole. The district cut high school positions, and had it not been for a few within my department choosing to financially benefit their families, I would have been axed. This year, my wife is on the short list.
Before I tackle funding issues, I will admit to seriously double-guessing our decision to move to Connecticut. My family is important to me, which is why we made this move, but the instability of working for this district is taxing.
But I wonder to what extent these drastic cuts would hurt our district if Connecticut funded schools differently. As it stands, local property taxes fund the schools. In a district with low property value and limited sources of revenue, how can the state expect quality school funding? It would make more sense if each county funded the local districts. Then public schools accountable to the state would be funded with much more equality than they are currently.

1 Comments:

At 11:29 PM , Blogger Ms. V. said...

um. It's not much better in CA. The axe fell on me, too.

Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home