Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Well and the Mine: A New Favorite

Since my time at Northwest University studying literature under the guidance of two tremendous southern belle professors, I have found an affinity for southern literature. Most specifically, Flannery O'Connor, has had a profound influence on my vision of humanity. This weekend, I found another such voice in author Gin Phillips.
Many weeks ago, as summer began, I picked off the shelf The Well and the Mine (a novel set in Alabama) because it was labeled with the "Discover Great New Writers Award Winner" gold sticker. The first sentence reads, "After she threw the baby in, nobody believed me for the longest time." Those words alone caused me to tuck it under my arm as I wandered the store for more books to fill my already full shelves.
Ms. Phillips weaves this story of childhood and adulthood with the perspectives of each of the Moore family members. They endure tragedy, challenge depression-era racism, and discover something about who they really are when it matters most.
The final sentence took me by surprise. Tess, who also speaks the first sentence, concludes, "That the right answer could be more than one thing at the same time." I turned the page wanting more from her, but she had given me all she could.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home