Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Politeness

Every day when I drop my daughter off for school, I say to her, "Tate, be kind, compassionate, and polite." These three ideas are what we expect from our daughter. And then....
Today, some nameless folks from the state came to visit our school. I knew they would be visiting my classroom, and have no problem letting people come watch what I do. The visitor was supposed to come in during the last period of the day, but came a period early. Not a problem.
She walked right in. She didn't wait at the door; she didn't introduce herself. She sat herself down right at my desk.
I was annoyed. I believe it is polite that when an unknown visitor, whether from central office or from THE STATE comes for a visit, arrives at a classroom, it is polite to wait for an invitation and to ask where the best place for them to sit might be.
When the lady left, my students immediately broke concentration to ask "Who was that? Why was she here?" and add commentary like, "I don't like her. She just walked in." It made me smile. They know what politeness looks like!

2 Comments:

At 7:32 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Gotta love higher-ups who think they can do whatever they want, eh?

Yay for your kids, though!

 
At 10:53 AM , Anonymous Henna said...

Yep.. all the best to you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home