Sunday, September 04, 2011

Forgive me, for I am about to sin.

Via Joanne Jacobs, I came across Scott Carroll's piece on what made him successful. While my district, and many like it, tell me, the teacher, that it is my ability to differentiate and my ability to teach vocabulary that will make a student achieve, Carroll insists that the family structure is even more important.
What I like about Carroll is his insistence on the fact that it doesn't take a college degree to understand the importance of reading to your child or expecting that homework is done. It doesn't require advanced learning to teach responsibility.
My own parents, who did not graduate from college, read to us constantly; and I can't imagine my parents ever allowing me to disrespect another human being, or a bathroom stall.
Yes, I know. I am in direct violation of the "progressive" education movements. I shall go to confession and confirm that my sin is ever before me.