Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Hiring Process

I was fortunate to get hired in the district I teach in. Before getting hired, I had two other interviews. One happened in a large group atmosphere that narrowed to me sitting with three teachers or administrators and answering questions. It was my first interview for a "real" job and I performed miserably. My second interview happened over the phone for a position in another state.
In Chapter 7, "A Commonsense Challenge," Hess writes, "Districts need to put quality-conscious personnel in charge of the hiring process and eliminate the excessive paperwork and lengthy delays that deter good candiates" (203). I wonder about the hiring process.
Our district takes applications and reviews them. If the candidate seems intriguing, at least slighty, I suppose, that candidate is offered a pool-interview. If that goes well for the candidate, they are placed into the pool to be looked at by individual adminstrators. It is a lengthy process with the intent, I hope, of finding the most qualified candidates. But those interviewing the candidates don't necessarily know the needs of every individual school, nor what strengths and weanesses an individual principal is willing to develop. The two real interviews I had worked in similar ways, it seems, so I don't know any other way. It makes me wonder how others do it.

How does your district hire candidates? Is it a lengthy, beauracratic process? Is it site-based? District controlled? Who sits on the review panel and hiring panel?

3 Comments:

At 9:47 AM , Blogger Jenna said...

Our hiring process isn't quite so lengthy... but then again we probably don't get as many applicants.

 
At 4:01 PM , Blogger Ryan said...

Our process (near Spokane) is as long as any I've ever seen.

When you pick up your application (7 pages) you also write answers to 4 or 5 questions about your teaching style. If you make it through that you're given the Ventures interview, where a principal and the asst. super tape record you and ask a bunch of other questions. These interviews are scored using a rubric, and if you score well enough they call your references. If you're still in it after that you can come in for a building interview, where you maybe--maybe--will get hired.

We've had great luck with it over the years, but I don't know if that's a function of a great process, being close to 3 different ed schools, or being near a city.

 
At 3:50 PM , Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

First, you must pass some company's personality test that we bought years ago.

Then the telephone interview.

Then there's the video interview.

Then there's the interview with a retired administrator-- why, I don't know.

Then there's the site interview. It used to be that the teachers on the team sat in on the next interview, but now that's it.

It;s been my experience that people who ace the personality are absolutely the worst classroom managers in the world-- unless they lied. In which case, they'll fit in great....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home