Sunday, May 28, 2006

Not the Normal Education Post

I have stepped out of my world as an English teacher and attempted some math. The reason: BARRY BONDS. I happen to like Bonds, even if he did rub some flaxseed oil on his muscles to get them bigger.
I compared Hank Aaron, Barry Bonds, and Babe Ruth. I looked at their hitting average, on base percentage, and something I've never seen a statistic for. This was the math portion. I looked at each players' respective playing years and found out what percentage of the overall Major League Baseball homerun total each player had for each year. Here are my findings:

Name: Batting Average* On-Base Percentage* Homerun Percentage
Aaron .305 .374 .013
Bonds** .301 .439 .008
Ruth .342 .469 .036

* From mlb.com
** Through 2005

Here's my analysis. Babe Ruth was and still is the greatest hitter to ever play the game. He has a better batting average, a higher on-base percentage, and is far above the other two in terms of the overall percentage of homeruns. Second, Barry Bonds, whether he was on steroids or not, actually had the lowest overall percentage of homeruns for his era. So get off his back. The steroids didn't help him that much.

4 Comments:

At 10:38 AM , Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Nope. Sorry. He still makes me want to barf-- if that wouldn't be a waste of an eight dollar ballpark beer.

We'll have to disagree on this one.

But I agree about Babe Ruth. He was fabulous.

 
At 1:19 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

Ms. Cornelius,

Now, the way you phrased that, "He was fabulous" makes it sound like you watched him...! That would make you pretty old.

 
At 6:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Flaxseed oil" has definitely cheapened Bonds accomplishments, but you could also put an asterisk next to what the Babe did. He played during the "Jim Crow" era of baseball, so if you look at the major leagues today, it's reasonable to assume that 30-40% of the best baseball players in America were not allowed to compete. That would make things a little easier for a slugger like the Babe. I guess that means Hammerin' Hank is the king!

 
At 3:36 PM , Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Mr. Mc,

I was talking about statistically. But since you have no idea how old I am, watch it, sonny.....:-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home