Monday, May 07, 2007

Roger that.

I need to digress briefly from posting about education. Roger Clemens has joined the New York Yankees.
Roger Clemens has had an astounding MLB career. I once sat in the seats of Fenway Park as Roger pitched. I wasn't that old. I don't remember much of the game, but I do remember that, as I left the bathroom, some guy handed me an official MLB game ball that had obvious markings from bats. Roger Clemens had pitched that ball.
But Clemens left the Red Sox. Some say he was forced out by management, others said Roger was too demanding. However one looks at it, he ultimately joined the Yankees. End of story. I can't like him.
But there's more to not liking him than just that he is a Yankee. I'll admit to liking Joe Torre, Derek Jeter, and Mariano Rivera. Three individuals with class and loyalty. Clemens? He's about the money. He is everything that is wrong with pro sports--self-indulging and arrogant. Ultimately, I am glad the Red Sox didn't get to bring him back. Today, too many Red Sox fans are bandwagon freeloaders, with no understanding of the Clemens history. So, to the Yankees, I say enjoy the Rocket Man--he really is one of yours.

3 Comments:

At 5:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ju$t cannot under$stand why Roger Clemen$ would return to the New York Yankee$. It mu$t be hi$ obviou$ commitment to winning, hi$ tremendou$ $en$e of hi$tory and ba$eball theater.

They can have him as far as I'm concerned. I hope the Sox beat him like a drum when he comes back to Fenway. I'd pay top dollar to be there chanting with thousands of others (urged along by the Sports Guy's encouragement) "HGH, HGH, HGH"

 
At 9:52 AM , Blogger Karen said...

I am a Red Sox fan and I did NOT want Roger back!
You are SO right that he is only in it for the money. About 12 or so years ago I taught in a small town in Massachusetts. Tragically, there was a fire and the older brother of one of our students was burned pretty badly. While in the hospital in Boston, he was offered the opportunity for a Red Sox player to visit. He wanted Clemens. Clemens wanted money. The kid didn't get to meet Clemens. (not sure if that story is 100% true, but it's the way it was told around my school at the time)

 
At 12:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

East Coast transplant in LA, love those SOX. It's obvious he did it for the money, even the SOX offered him the money, everyone wants the rocket arm.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home