Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Retirement

I am ready to retire. So what if I'm only 31? Top athletes often receive criticism from the media for hanging on too long, for not walking away from their game while at the top. If an athlete wins a championship late in his career, many think he should retire. That's how I feel today--and yes, I recognize the arrogance in that sentiment.
Allow me to tell my championship story. As an introspective and doubting person, I often wonder what exactly my students learn. Today, I received an e-mail from a student of mine (though she's already graduated, I still consider her a student). She informed me that after much deliberation, she'll be attending the University of (Insert Foreign City).
While reading the e-mail, the corners of my mouth moved upwards, and I chuckled outloud. She had learned to be a pioneer woman, to forge her own path, to listen to her life and what it was saying. Can I really take credit for that, who knows? What I do know is that I am extremely proud of her, that I believe she will succeed and flourish while there.
So, I want to walk away while on top, after realizing success in teaching my course objective: To become global citizens through the study of literature and writing. Hand me my cigar, spray the champagne, commence the victory parade.

2 Comments:

At 6:51 PM , Blogger Amerloc said...

Teachers too seldom have the time to bask in their successes. Bask away :-)

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger cupcake said...

But here's the thing. Now is not the time to retire. now is the time to get greedy. Go out there and get more of them to go to college.

And please let me know your secret, because I had five students drop out this year. Bless.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home