Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hijacked

I hope the title doesn't get me put on the "No-Fly" list, but that is exactly what happened to me today during the first two periods. During first period, I had to call security to help me reingage two students who refused to stop talking, move seats when directed, or even acknowledge my existence in the room. It was completely surreal. It took a great deal of emotional energy to try and engage the two students and just as much to call security--I don't need help is my thought and my track record tends to bear that out.
By second period, I was worn out, deflated. So when the entire group refused to come along down the happy path of learning, I let them. Maybe it's my fault that they didn't want to learn today. Maybe the reading selections about positivity and how they are the ones who can change the school's atmosphere, which desperately needs changing. But my students weren't interested in either the content or the skill set (Evaluation).
Here's the part the kills me: The outside "suits" will put this failure all on me. I suppose that I should accept such responsibility without argument. But at least give me a nice compensation package like the guy from WAMU.

3 Comments:

At 6:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've all had those days, and will continue to have them sprinkled throughout our careers. It's an energy thing and kids know it before we do.
Today's a new day, Go get'im, tiger!

 
At 2:11 PM , Blogger Ms. V. said...

I teach in Continuation High School in CA, so I have those days every day.

I'm glad I found your blog again, through a post you revived last year. So I linked ya!

Hang in there!!

 
At 4:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah just hang in there everything will be ok, your blog is really informative and having your blog as reference makes my Intern in australia much easier, keep it up.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home