Monday, November 24, 2008

Whaddya Wanna Bet... (with odds)

This edition of Whaddya Wanna Bet... grew out of my flippant remarks about my own Fantasy Football team. My Fantasy Football team continues to underperform. Yesterday, I said to my father, "What do you want bet that my cousin's team (my opponent) would outperform his projected points?" Yahoo projected that my lineup would rack up 116 points, but as has been the case, the team didn't reach its potential. And of course, my cousin managed to accumulate more than his projected points. So here it is, the education version of Whaddya Wanna Bet...

That President-elect Obama doesn't make good on many of his education related promises? (2-1)
That The First Family-elect could have proven their campaign slogan of bringing "real change to Washington..." had they opted for public education? (5-1)
That referring to Michelle A. Rhee as Chancellor makes people think of the Emperor in Return of the Jedi? (15-1)
That if Chancellor Rhee offered me a contract for $100,000, I would take it? (Even)
That Myron Rolle will take the Rhodes Scholarship if he is as smart as they think he is? (10-1)
That when I finally have my Corrective Reading curriculum in early December, and after having taught the lessons five times per day, I'll want to insert a computer chip in my brain that turns off my emotional capacities? (9-2)
That the when Central Offices ask for your input and the input of the community, they don't really care to hear it? (3-1)
That if Robert Marzano had to put into practice his Effective Teaching Strategies in schools like this or like this, he would run scared back to his office at the University of Washington and cower in farthest recess of his most obscure cupboard? (Even)
That Marzano's Effective Teaching Strategies are actually quite good? (2-1)
That to truly remark on the effectiveness of a particular school and all of the three thousand new intiatives being implemented, one should actually participate on a regular basis and talk to actual teachers instead of administrators? (7-2)
That I am going to give "Thank You" notes to all of my students this week? (10-1)
That I won't actually follow through with it because by Wednesday they will have driven me to the brink of meltdown? (4-1)

7 Comments:

At 1:57 PM , Blogger Ms. V. said...

I seriously do not understand fantasy football thingys.

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger Kim Hughey said...

Speaking of Marzano, we have this new "wonder" math program that is supposed to solve all our curriculum problems if we will just use it. We have been trying to tell the administration that the program is not all it is cracked up to be. We said we wanted one of the "experts" to come out and teach a lesson to a group of real students. Sure enough, they sent a consultant to work with me all day. The other math teachers were supposed to come in and observe the magic of the program at work during their conference period.

The expert is a retired college professor and is all fired up about the program. Everything went pretty well during 1st and
2nd period (pre-ap algebra II) and then it all went to Hell in handbag when he tried using the program in my remedial classes. I am telling you, it was the funniest thing you have ever seen. Those kids chewed him up and spit him out. They weren't "bad", they were just doing what they do. You know what I mean I am sure.

Everything we have been trying to tell our principal was wrong with the program happened to this expert. By the end of the day he didn't know which end was up. He said to me, "How do you do this all day?"

My co-workers and I are still cracking up over this incident.

Oh, and I agree with Mrs. V. As much as I love football, I don't understnd fantasy football either. But good luck to you anyway.

 
At 3:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Certainly the track record for fulfilled campaign promises is not in favor of President Obama following through on many of the promises - education-related or otherwise.

And I literally laughed out loud at the story from Mrs. H. As a pastor I also have plenty of people who tell me they could do my job better (or pretend to know it better than I do) - so it's funny to see someone get their comeuppance in such a hands on fashion!

 
At 5:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Wonder" program for math that isn't all it's cracked up to be? Sounds like someone else bought into Pearson's enVision...

 
At 1:45 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

very funny, Mrs. H! I want to video tape the first week of the Corrective Reading classes. Especially because they are only giving me a two hour training. I think I read that usualy one gets two full days of training, not me. I will take that as a compliment.

 
At 2:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you were an Obama supporter. Or, maybe I just assumed it. Why so critical right off the bat?

 
At 4:40 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

Rene,
I am an Obama supporter. Yet, he promised change, that he would do things differently. His pick of school for his children, though difficult to fault, places him as a Washington insider.
And for all that he wants to accomplish, he will inevitably run into problems, especially in the area of education which has long been dominated by union thought.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home