Monday, December 15, 2008

Food Drive (Day 7 & 8)

Quick update on the our food drive. After this weekend's count, we had amassed 2900 itmes, over halfway to our goal of 4500. I ended up using my first three periods counting and sorting the items--a great thank you to my three freshmen classes who I forced to help.
My central office is working to identify the families we will be helping--probably 13-15 in all.

We spread our operation to a second store tonight. For the first hour, I was alone at Wal-Mart until one of the amazing volunteers showed up--she wasn't scheduled to help, but somehow heard no students had come to help. Finally three other students showed up, plus two teachers and administrator.

Best story of the night. As I was setting up, a woman hovered around me to see what I was up to. Finally, she asked what my signs were all about. Upon discovering that I was setting up to collect food, she reached into her bags (she had entered the store before knowing we would be there) and handed me the two boxes of cereal she had purchased. "I was out of work for six months," she admitted. "I know what it's like. Thank you for doing this."

And that is why I am dedicated to making this drive happen, even if it requires me and only handful of students to make it work. For those few students, this drive will shape their high school memories.

And if you want to see the model I am using, please follow the link to a news story about my former school:
http://www.king5.com/video/eveningmagazine-index.html?nvid=200409&shu=1

3 Comments:

At 9:54 PM , Blogger HappyChyck said...

I guess I didn't realize the magnitude of this project you're trying to keep going until I saw the video. All I can say is, "WOW!" I wish you all the luck. Even in hard times, people are willing to help others. I once worked in the poorest district in my state, and the amount of food the students would raise to help others was incredible.

 
At 11:09 PM , Blogger Neo said...

What you are doing is truly wonderful. It might be exhausting work but its such good work.

What a valuable lesson to teach your kids. Now these are amazing learning experiences outside of the textbook!

 
At 7:31 AM , Blogger rk said...

Makin'us proud over here on the west coast. Thanks for being a blessing to the east! We miss you!!!

R

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home