Saturday, December 13, 2008

Food Drive (Day Six)

Bells, bells, bells.... The Salvation Army bellringers were the local Boy Scout troops, and they certainly rang those bells! It really is fun to watch people donate food and then drop money into the pot for The Salvation Army. I think we brought in 400 items this morning, but the official count will happen on Monday.
The other amazing part of this event is the support given by local businesses. Today, the terrific pizza joint across the street donated two large pizzas which we shared with our "competition."

2 Comments:

At 8:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your energy and persistence in this food drive have been inspiring. When I was young my family fell on hard times and had to go on Welfare. We also received food donations (important with 5 kids, 3 of whom were ravenous boys)from the church and local groups. I can still remember sense of wonder I felt at Thanksgiving and Christmas as boxes of food were delivered right to our kitchen table. I will always be grateful for people like you and your students.

On another matter, you know that I have been a reader for quite a while and as I read post after post, one thing becomes clear--you need a community. The transformation in my teaching and my feeling about teaching came when I fell in step with the New York City Writing Project. There are Writing Project sites in every state. But there are other organizations too, dedicated to bringing teachers together for sharing, learning and growing as pedagogues. If I could give you a Christmas gift I would get you involved in one of these groups.
This blog is fine, as far as it goes, but there is nothing like finding a community of like-minded seekers.

Joe

 
At 5:48 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

Joe,
Thank you for your kind words. My persistence stems from knowing that, more than any lesson I can teach my students about anaylzing literature, compassion has the power to overcome the ills of society--something my school community desperately needs.
I will look into a the Writing Project because you are right about my need for community. It is something I have lacked since leaving Washington.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home