Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Food Drive (Final Collection Day)

I'm exhausted. But I've put our odds of reaching 5,000 items at 3-1. Our original goal was 4,500 items, and this morning's count had us at 4,200. We had a stellar night at our two locations. Here are two stories from my group:

A man walks up to our students and matter of factly asks, "What are you girls doing, here?"
"Oh, we're putting on a food drive to support our school families in need this year,"they reply, filling in lines for each other.
"What can I do to help," he questions.
"Well, here's a list of items we're collecting," one of the girls says while handing him the blue paper.
"Okay," he replies, already heading into the store.
Forty five minutes later he returns. His grocery cart is full to the top. Reaching for one of the bags, he says, "Here you go." He then turned and walked away, still holding the one bag he had picked up from the pile.

Earlier in the night, a man walked out of the store holding a bag and a turkey. He didn't donate, but I kindly told him to have nice night. Fifty feet later, he stops, turns, and walks back to me. He puts the turkey out and says, "Here." That was it. Nothing more before walking away.
A car pulls up and the driver calls me over. It's turkey man. While reaching out to shake my hand he says, "That turkey was for my kids. You know, my wife died two years ago and now we get state help. But we have food. Give that turkey to someone who doesn't have food. We need more people like your students. Thanks, and tell people my story."

I was floored, stunned by the generosity of these men. So, now you now the story. Starbucks has their new ad campaing imploring us to "Do Something Good Every Day." These men put that into action; I hope you will do the same.

5 Comments:

At 2:12 AM , Blogger Sukawt said...

I feel something missing this year I think it is because I am not at Cascade, I am so used to working on the food drive every year. I tried helping out this year the best I can. Congrats on meeting your goal.

 
At 7:23 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow. Great stories-Thanks!

 
At 7:57 PM , Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

It is so wonderful when kids spend their time thinking about others rather than themselves.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday! Those were great stories!

 
At 9:17 PM , Blogger Dan Edwards said...

Bravo for this project you are doing with your kids ! Thanks for some "good" stories about education.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas and that 2009 is a New Year filled with peace, love, prosperity, happiness and fine health for you and your loved ones !

 
At 5:42 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

Thank you for your kind words. Merry Christmas to you all as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home