Thursday, June 24, 2010

Education Serenity

*Risky Business Ahead: Anytime I bring into this blog the realities of my daily grind, I run the risk of offending. But this blog has always been about my experiences; and if I'm to continue blogging, I have to tell the truth of it all.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;


I cannot change the short-sighted nature of the voters in the town I work in. That this town has yet to pass their education budget for a student population in need of local support wreaks of either ignorance or intention. Both are dangerous.

I cannot change the number of hallwalkers distracting the valuable education going on in the classroom. That our school community allows students to wander our hallways in packs wreaks of either indifference or inability. Again, both are dangerous.

Courage to change the things I can;

I can change the interactions within the walls of my classroom. That I fell into the trap of apologizing for the content (Teach Like a Champion) wreaks of either selfishness or apathy. Both are dangerous.


And wisdom to know the difference.

Honestly, this will be difficult. I feel this insane need to fix things--some say it results from that Y chromosome. There is potential in our district for something special, a place where low-income students prove that they can compete academically with the wealthy. We can be something special, a place where competing cultures come together and form a truly American community.

6 Comments:

At 6:09 AM , Blogger LifeLongLearner said...

Thanks for refreshing the Serenity prayer in my soul---I'm needing to focus on the CHANGE items in our school community.

Gratefully,
Margo
Cub Run Elementary Librarian

Virginia

 
At 7:20 AM , Blogger The Navy Christian said...

This is really good stuff. I've applied the Serenity Prayer in many areas of my life, but never thought of doing so in education, but it's good to read. Also it's good to know the distractions and failings that you write about. I'm still in training to be a teacher, and it's nice to have the head's up, so to speak.

 
At 5:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Affecting change in the classroom is the most important thing you can do. You may hate your curriculum, but you can enhance it. You may hate the those walking outside your classroom but you can work with those on the inside and find leaders to reach those on the outside.

It is not your job to "fix" everything, but it is your job to reach as many students as you can. A special school takes special and dedicated teachers. Work to be one of those and others will follow

 
At 8:16 PM , Blogger GasStation Cappuccino said...

Thank you!!

I was having similar problems as our school year wound down, but never thought to use the Serenity Prayer...

If you get moment, look at the whole thing... it can all be applied to our lives as teachers...
http://www.cptryon.org/prayer/special/serenity.html
(copy and paste)

How are you still in school this late?? I thought my system ran late!

 
At 12:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Mr. McNamar,

I think a lot of your readers are teachers or perhaps in some area of education and so I’m writing to suggest www.school-counselor.org as a resource link on your blog. This website provides career and licensure information for those who are interested in moving into the school counseling profession.

Hope this is helpful,

Seth Sanford

 
At 1:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is inspirational.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home