Saturday, June 17, 2006

Graduation

Four years have passed since I walked into the classroom I student taught in. The master teacher had been teaching for quite some time, and, as it turned out, that year would be his last. We had far different styles. Those 150 9th graders treated me fairly well for the first half of their first high school semester.
I had more than one student who had trouble staying quiet during instruction, but nothing like the group of 9th graders I had this year.
There was one girl who should have taken honors, but didn't--I had the joy of teaching her this year for real. In fact, of the 25 seniors I taught this year, 9 of them were freshmen in that student teaching class.
I feel like I grew up with the Class of '06. They walked in to class that September morning as nervous as me. I think most of them walked out of class this June as successful as I have been.

I wish them the greatest of luck in all that they do. I will always feel connected to the Class of '06, my maiden voyage in classroom instruction. They taught me much, and hopefully I reciprocated.
In the way of the novel Cry, the Beloved Country, "Go well," Class of '06, and we shall "Stay well." Represent our school well, your parents honorably, and yourself honestly. The latter shall, if nothing else, keep you grounded.

5 Comments:

At 9:13 PM , Blogger Sara said...

Thanks for everything McNamar... its been fun. You are a good teacher, so don't let any poor students let you think differently. Good luck with Tate, she has great parents and she will do great things.

 
At 9:29 PM , Blogger Mark Ahlness said...

Enjoy those connections. I get them every year, but much more so this year

I hope you stay with it, the kids out there need and deserve more teachers with your passion and dedication. Now enjoy the summer! - Mark

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Thanks for the water pouring lesson...just when I thought I was done with high school...there you all are! lol

 
At 6:31 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

That is the joy of teaching, we always have something to say! And, I certainly expect to be reading your very own weblog so you can pontificate on all that you learn in the future.

 
At 9:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This year was my 7th teaching. In elementary school that means I have done a full cycle. This year's graduating 6th graders were my first kindergarten class. I teach Technology, so I have watched these kids grow up over the last 7 years. I walked in as a new teacher, no idea what I was doing, with brand new computers, and nervous as hell. They were the first group of kids to come into the lab, they saw the computers in boxes and then on the tables. And now they have left me.
Here's to another 7 (or 4) years. Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home