Sunday, February 25, 2007

Ooops, they did it again.

Mistakes happen. If someone were to read every post I have written, they will find mistakes in my writing--mostly because I don't really proofread. Here are a few examples of mistakes from student essays on childhood. All work is left untouched by me:
"My parents always had attendances to over react about injuries." Attendants, attendances, or a tendency?
"...my parents will do anything to keep you safe." How nice of them!
"...while we are children, we love being a child and have no recollection of the things that come later..." Hmmm. Back to the Future Part IV.
"To me, being a child is like eating a popsicle, we start out eating the popsicle and thinking it tastes so exceptional. Then we start to get down towards the end, and I am saying to myself, 'please don't leave me.' Just like the popsicle, I don't want to leave my childhood." Why doesn't the popsicle want to leave?
"This forces us to stay up longer and to get less sleep, which makes us feel like quitting your job some times." If the student quits my job, does that mean I don't have a job?

More to come later!

2 Comments:

At 6:40 PM , Blogger the anonymous teacher said...

I love finding mistakes like that. They are at least entertaining. Unlike the run-ons...Oh, the run-ons!

 
At 4:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading your post (while multitasking, I confess, which of course affected my comprehension). I read all the way to the end thinking you were providing examples from your own writing as a child. I kept thinking, "Wow, that's great that he still has his old work! Wouldn't it be neat to show those to students to say, "Look at me, I'm human too, and I've come a long way." It would be fun to let the kids correct our old papers. There would certainly be motivation for finding the errors!

Of course, then I realized you were providing examples from your students, which made more sense. But it got me thinking... it would be a fun activity, even if it was a little "fabricated"!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home