Monday, May 21, 2007

REJECTION

I am too cocky to know how to handle rejection. My self-confidence leads me to believe that no matter what the situation, I can prevail. So when I received the phone call to inform me that I had been rejected by a school district in Connecticut, I didn't know how to respond. So, I am going to blog about it.
Yes, my wife, daughter, and I are planning to move to Connecticut. My parents, younger brother, and sister all live there; and my older brother lives in Rhode Island. Having to raise my daughter away from aunts, uncles, cousins, and especially grandparents is not something I wish to do. So, this summer we will leave the Pacific Northwest for my native New England.
The scariest part is that we don't have jobs yet. But I did interview last week. The interview happened over the phone, something I don't recommend to anyone. Personally, I need to have the people in the room. Today, the principal of the school called to inform me that I wasn't in their top three.
The reasons baffled me. They had a strong applicant pool--my recommendations clearly state my strengths. In the end, my G.P.A. and my few years of experience hindered me.
What? My 3.1 G.P.A. from my Church Ministry Degree (what I received prior to returning for my Teacher Certificate) affects my ability to teach? Really? Hmmmmm. I disagree, but okay, I'll concede that on paper things like G.P.A. might stand out.
But my years of experience? Hmmmmmm. Again, I disagree that a teacher who has eight years of experience makes her a better qualified candidate than me. I am just too cocky to believe that.
Any way, here's what gets me. I can't do anything about my G.P.A. or my years of experience. Had the principal said, "Well, your lack of experience with Connecticut's standards, blah blah blah, I could go out and learn those standards this week. My rejection, at least the reasons I was given, had nothing to do with ability to teach.
I'll keep my head and chin up because that's what I do. But I wont' lie. I feel pretty low tonight.

7 Comments:

At 8:40 PM , Blogger The Science Goddess said...

How sad that you're leaving Washington! I do hope that you'll continue blogging in your new job. You're sure to find one.

 
At 2:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're the ones who lost out on a great teacher. Hang in there -- you'll find a school that appreciates you. Take care, and go hug your wife and kids. It will all work out.

 
At 6:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rejection is rough. But it's probably just not the right job for you, and the right one is out there. When I moved to my current district, dh (also a teacher) and I made a leap of faith and bought a house in June with no jobs. He had a job by July; I had one by the end of August. Yes- we cut it close! But it happened. And did I mention that dh only had 3 years of experience at the time? Hang in there. Once you get to Conn. and have some face-to-face interviews, it'll be clear to them that they need a strong teacher like you. And we're sorry to lose you from Washington!

 
At 11:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where in CT are you looking? If you're near the border, don't forget about NY schools - White Plains and Yonkers are usually looking this time of year.

You might also try nais.org - private school jobs are plentiful and are compensated just as well as public.

 
At 5:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to say that if you're close enough to RI to look for jobs there.
I'm originally from RI (I live in FL now) but I'd like to welcome you back to New England : )

 
At 6:10 PM , Blogger Mr. McNamar said...

It's funny, but the best advice I received today came not from my principal or other teacher but from the head secretary (aren't they just amazing people?) She said, remember "kid" you have to be a salesman--you're selling your self.
I will certainly look into the many prep. and private schools back east as well as Mass. schools (I'll be 20 minutes from the border)

 
At 8:34 PM , Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Rejection is hard to stomach in any form, but especially when the reasons are specious. Allow yourself, oh, about a day to grieve, and then move on.
There is a school that's a good match for you in the area you're heading to. You just haven't found each other yet. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home