Sunday, June 17, 2007

Lost?

I have hollow heart today. Last night at graduation I waited to hear a student's name that was never called. The name echoes only in the silence it created.
I once quoted Frederick Buechner to the student: "Listen to your life," I said, "See it for the fathomless mystery that it is." I wonder what it said.
One time, to encourage this compassionate student, I quoted Buechner again, “Compassion is sometimes the fatal capacity for feeling what it is like to live inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.” I didn't sleep much last night--not much peace.
What is it about the human spirit that hinders us from moving on when we lose someone. The American Soldier won't leave another behind. The shepherd goes to find the one of 99 that lost the fold. Teachers lament the one that fails.

2 Comments:

At 5:03 PM , Blogger Matt said...

Summer started a bit earlier for me, so I've been playing catch up on Google Reader. Today is "The Daily Grind".

As I read over the last 15 or so posts, I felt the need to send a quick note...a comment-hug...a reminder that you are not alone.

I had a student choose not to graduate this year. After my giving many chances to make up credit, on the last possible day, the student turned in a plagiarised paper instead of using the time I had given. A big part of me feels like I let the student down, like if I had done something different the student would have been successful.

The beautiful tragedy of the human spirit, the sleepless night, is the 99 we do shepard through. And also the reminder of this feeling, so that next time we just might get all 100.

 
At 10:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post that all teachers can relate to!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home