Friday, December 21, 2007

The Year in Review

Back in January of this year, my wife and I began planning our eventual move to Connecticut. We had hopes of how the year would unfold, and dreams of where we would be at this point. Like so many good ideas, real life often gets in the way. But, here at the end of the year, I must return to that notion that my family is blessed.

Here are some of the major events for Mr. McNamar:
May--House goes up for sale; interview with CT school--don't get the job.
June--My wife and daughter move to Connecticut; house hasn't sold; I submit my letter of resignation at previous school.
July--(late July) I load a truck and begin driving to Connecticut; house hasn't sold.
August--arrive in Connecticut; put house on rental market--doesn't rent; interview twice with well-respected Catholic high school--don't get the job; hired at low performing high school.
September--begin work at low performing school; house hasn't rented.
October--Sign lease to rent house here in CT; house in Seattle hasn't rented; my confidence as a competent teacher wanes.
November--Seattle house rents; low performing school saps my energy.
December--Pass the Praxis II: more money for me!

In the October events, you read that my confidence was waning. To bolster my self-confidence, I'd like to share a few thoughts of some former students. Actually, it really isn't to only bolster my self-confidence; it is mostly to show that for all the negative press that the current generation of students receives, there are some amazing individuals who are selfless and honorable.
"So after all thank you for caring about your students...about me. It has been an honor being in your class."
"Tell all of your students that college is a wonderful place to be. There is SO much more out there and stopping at a high school education is very foolish. I wouldn't trade this opportunity for anything. Thanks again for getting me prepared to be here!! "
"You're an incredible teacher."
"And I know that at least for one, you wont be just an English teacher, you'll be their counselor, their mentor, their friend. Im sorry that I wont be in that classroom. But I'll carry the life lessons you taught me on until the day I die. "
" I just thought I'd drop you a line saying that you were an awesome teacher and that I hope everything's going well for you now"

So, there they are, people; the next generation. I love 'em.

And to end, here is what I found in my e-mail in-box from a promising student here at my low performing school:
Mr. McNamar,


I hope you have very wonderful holidays. A very Merry Christams and a joyful and healthy new year surrounded by the people that you love the most. Those are my best wishes from my family to yours!

Happy Holidays, From Mr. McNamar and his family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home