Monday, August 24, 2009

Back to School Fun

Today marks the start of year three in this particular district. And as was the case last year, we are beginning with two days of welcome back talking and professional development. I'm looking at the schedule for today and can't help but notice that there is no time built in today's schedule for personal implementation time. Meaning, there is no time for working in the classroom.
Okay, I get it to an extent. When your district fails to get enough students passing the state exam it means we need to to become better teachers. And the only way to make us better teachers is to re-teach us things we should already know, like using Scientific Research-Based Interventions (SRBI).
What SRBI basically says is, stop doing things that don't work with your students. But for me, and now I am going to become one of the people on my Annoying Staff Member list, this is third course load I have had since coming here. Meaning, I am teaching courses I have not taught at this school.
I taught one year of 9th graders in Washington, but the state focus was different. This year, I have all 9th grade classes except one (Sports Literature, which I also haven't taught). Most of my summer was spent teaching summer school, so I feel largely unprepared going into this year. What I could use is time. Time to explore the curriculum. Time to prepare a unit or two.
It isn't that I don't see value in recognizing the teachers who have been here for 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, and 50 years (yes, they exist), but I think my time could be better used doing what I get paid to do.
Plus, I'm not sure how many text messages I have remaining on my plan and tedious meetings bring out my text-happy fingers.

1 Comments:

At 9:07 AM , Blogger Jenna said...

Time for "implementation" means you would have time to think. If you had that, you might want to veer from the script, thus not "teaching with fidelity" and this would negate the research based results.

Thinking is bad. And not proven by research.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home