Friday, October 09, 2009

Why can't my sports literature students be this creative?

From ESPN writer Bill Simmon's Mailbag column:

Q: I'm a senior in high school and was assigned a project in lit class to create my own university, which other students would then "apply" to. Both me and my partner for the project are fans of yours, and, remembering a podcast in which you discussed your dream of having a college named after you, decided on Bill Simmons University. We went back to the podcast and created it exactly to your specifications. We even put in your admissions requirement: female applicants just send pictures. We got a D on the assignment and a lecture from the teacher about sexism and taking the class seriously. Thanks, Bill Simmons.-- Brett, Portland, Ore.

SG: I don't even need to write it. And by the way, rarely if ever, has a reader e-mail made me this proud. The only way it would have been better is if you snapped at the teacher, "Shouldn't we have gotten a double-D?" Come to my Portland signing (Nov. 20), bring the paper and I will autograph the paper and give you a free book. Take that, uptight teacher who doesn't have a sense of humor.

I nearly woke up baby Calvin laughing at this.

1 Comments:

At 1:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the teacher was over zealous in weighting the criteria for one area!

I'd like to see the list of grading criteria given prior to the assignment.

Yes, if you had students listening to radio podcasts and working well together as well as writing clearly as they have above(other than "me and my partner"), you'd be pleased to have them complete such an assignment.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home