Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Somewhere over the Rainbow

I am in crisis. I am questioning my ability as a teacher. I am questioning my desire to teach.

At first, I thought it was a funk. However, four weeks in to the year, and I am seriously considering what else an English teacher is qualified to do. So, I took the advice of someone important to me and tried to rediscover why I teach. Therefore, I sent the following message to nearly a dozen former students:

So, this feels weird sending, but here's the background. I'm having a hard time deciding if teaching is still for me. A colleague told me to think back to the many students I have enjoyed teaching. Your name came up on my list. I thought you might like to know that.

--Mr. McNamar

Sending the message felt good. Certainly I did not send it to all of my memorable students, but in the end, I was reminded of why I teach.

4 Comments:

At 5:52 PM , Anonymous atlteacher said...

I've felt similarly. Teaching becomes such a big part of one's life and character that when we falter even a little we begin to question if we can be good in any other job. Maybe you should try another job just to explore options.

 
At 7:59 AM , Anonymous joycemocha said...

You're not the only one.

 
At 4:01 PM , Blogger Mr. B-G said...

I have, at times, felt the same way myself this year. I dare say it's a universal feeling among educators, especially in this climate that continually portrays us as the dregs of society.

 
At 6:40 PM , Anonymous tips malam pertama said...

your title remind me of israelis kamakiwowo :-)

tips malam pertama
malam pertama
malam pertama pengantin
kisah malam pertama
cerita malam pertama
pengalaman malam pertama
seks malam pertama
cerita lucu malam pertama
madu khaula
percocet 5 325
vicodin 5 500
antique bird cages
maytag dishwasher parts
headboards for queenbeds
ge dryer parts
ge dishwasher parts

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home