Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Case for the Classics

I hated to read. My older brother began reading at four years of age. It took me until I was six. My brother wanted to read The Chronicles of Narnia by the time he entered second grade. I wanted to read Clifford Goes to Hollywood for a sixth grade book report. I fake read a lot. I listened carefully to what the teacher told us about the book and then bull----, I mean wrote wonderful analysis on the test. And on it went until the summer reading assignment of The Great Gatsby. Huh? Of all the books that a junior in high school might read, The Great Gatsby is the one that turned me into a reader.
Today, I teach English and Reading to high school students. I've questioned the need for reading many of the classics we teach--see this post/article from the Education Wonks. I've tried to balance my belief that certain texts are valuable because of their impact on society at the time of writing and my belief that many of those texts send my students into a coma.
The author Frederick Buechner says that words, whether they are written today or five hundred years ago have the power, if we allow, to change us. And that is the beginning point for how I teach the classics. It is not so much that Beowulf must be read because it is the only text to convey the heroic code, honor, loyalty, and bravery. It is, however, that Beowulf's language, if we step through it carefully, is poetic and different.
Currently, we are reading The Canterbury Tales--in a fine translation. I am reading it to them, modeling reading fluency and diction. My student have enjoyed what we've read. No, we don't read all of them, just the ones I think they'll cry or laugh at. The Miller's Tale comes to mind. It is full of depravity and tawdry humor, but still ever focused on pointing out the flaws of upperclass society and nobility.
While the truth remains that many English teachers kill great literature with stuffy criticism and neo post modernistic feminism, I believe that sometimes it is best to let the students be selfish in their reading. Forget what some professor has to say about Othello, and hear it for the passion and the truth that unfolds from characters who portray people like you and me.
You see, that is how we can make the classics less classical and more modern. Let your students hear the story; stop drowning them out with terminology and study questions. Just read it. Just react to it. Just listen to the words.

4 Comments:

At 10:03 PM , Blogger Sara said...

I hope you are still going to do the assignment where the class writes their own tale and reads them aloud in the story telling contest. However, might I suggest putting a cap on the number of pages the story can be. I know mine won, and I know it was something like 12 pages, but I have to admit it was too long and by the end of the story reading, everyone was bored and couldn't even remember most of the stories they had heard in order to vote.

 
At 4:59 AM , Blogger graycie said...

". . . the passion and the truth that unfolds from characters who portray people like you and me . . ."

I thought that's what great literature was all about -- right?

 
At 11:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's one of my convictions that great characters make great stories, because we can somehow find ourselves in them. Reading has always given me the opportunity to hear my own story re-told in the stories of a hundred other characters. I guess I started young (though I don't think I was 4 as you recall it - that was probably Gwen Garland...) and I continue to read because in a good piece of literature I can hear echoes of my own voice. I think it was CS Lewis who said that we read to remind ourselves that we are not alone.

 
At 4:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

The Payday/Installment loan will assist you with folks shocking charges or even this shocking sharp emergency. If you've got got got some form of expenses that may can’t hold out till eventually check cashing your following pay day advance comes, seem in thus on USA day money advances and in addition use every of our Payday/Installment loan thus on be season just what proportion thus on be wise.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home