Sunday, June 10, 2007

Evaluations

My Seniors have three days of classes remaining before they begin their multitude of graduation related activities. My first period's final is scheduled for tomorrow, but I will probably also give period six the final as well.
It isn't so much a final as it is a course evaluation. I figure that I have graded their work all year, leaving snippy comments on their essays, the least I can do is open myself up to their "grading." Sometimes it has been painful, other times humorous. Either way, I have improved over the last three years by doing this.
Here is my favorite observation (From the Class of 2005):
As I read through the evaluations, a group of girls all shared similar thoughts regarding my fairness. They felt that I allowed a group of boys to talk too much, especially if the subject was baseball, thus making them my favorites. Their observation was true. I did let those boys talk off topic, especially if it was about baseball.
Then I came to the evaluations by that group of boys. They felt that I allowed that group of girls to talk too much, about anything they wanted, and that made those girls my favorite.
I still laugh when I think about that story.

2 Comments:

At 5:24 AM , Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

In other words, you just can't win!

 
At 5:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so typical. It's funny how students always make comments about fairness. I always loved reading their evaluations at the end of the year. Some of them are keepers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home