Thursday, January 26, 2012

I, too, Fix Education

With great respect for Langston Hughes, and because I am not much of a poet, I have adapted his powerful poem "I, too, Sing America" for the feeling of neglect many of today's teachers feel as everyone but us seems to be charting the course of public education.

I, too, Fix Education


I, Too, fix Education
I am the classroom teacher.
They write me off for lack of degrees
When reformers come,
But I teach,
And smile strong,
And connect.

Tomorrow,
I’ll join the dialogue
When reformers come.
They won’t presume to
Say to me,
“ You are status quo,”
Then.

Besides,
They’ll see how important I am
And recognize—

I, too, fix Education

2 Comments:

At 6:02 AM , Anonymous dissertation said...

An educated person is one who has learned that information almost always turns out to be at best incomplete and very often false, misleading, fictitious, mendacious - just dead wrong.

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger Mr. S said...

My students just grappled with Hughes' poem a few weeks ago. I love the parallels, implicit and explicit.

Reminded me of Taylor Mali's "What Teacher's Make" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home