Wednesday, September 21, 2005

In honor of the Carnival

It has been a few weeks since I posted at the Carnival. But, as I read the various entries for this week I realized that The Education Wonk has, for the last 33 weeks, brought together the education community.
As my school entered this year, the principal has encouraged the teachers to join together, collaborate, and improve our practice. I can't say whether or not the grade level groups have all been meeting. My guess, knowing the culture at the school, is that many of these groups either don't meet or are unproductive when they do.
It would be interesting if the Education Wonk could provide us with the visitor statistics for any given Carnival. Just looking at the many offerings, the comments on those offerings, and each individual blog's link list, a wonderful amount of collaboration and thought is taking place.
Too often we are unwilling to put in the time to work with our peers. Maybe we don't trust them; maybe they pissed us off a few year ago. But for me, I enjoy working in an environment free from petty squabbles, distrust, and finger-pointing. I love coming to the Carnival to read the thoughts and events of my collective colleagues. Was it Twain who said we read to know we aren't alone?
It is a complicated profession we have chosen. We are in the public eye, under public scrutiny, and tasked with educating students who may or may not want to be there. Some have small classrooms and large class loads, but we show up, always, hopefully always, wanting to perform, wanting to reach that kid for the greater good of that same society that is constantly peering over our shoulders.
Thanks Education Wonk for allowing us to meet, break bread, and find hope and comfort.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM , Blogger Mrs. Ris said...

While others in the blogsphere lament the quality of education bloggers: http://www.eschoolnews.com/eti/2005/09/001179.php

I appreciate that you see the value of the discussion, the collaboration, the development of colleagiality among educators.

I can't say enough about how the edusphere has broadened my contacts, inspired deeper thinking, and thus improved my practice. I don't agree with everyone I read, but that's part of the point of open discussion.
Right?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home