Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Responsibility

With the start of classes on Wednesday, I've begun thinking about who will be in my classes. What kind of students will walk in that door throughout the day. I am sure to get the brown noser, the grade grubber, the slacker, and all of the other stereotypes out there.
But will I get a student like this? (Don't just skip over the link. It is a story to read.)

There is something energizing, almost mystical about young men and women who live beyond their age. At nineteen, this young man should be focusing on his education while improving his given talent. And yet, in the midst of opportunity, he realizes that there is much more to life than Fraternity parties and late night binges. While morons like his peer in Texas demonstrate for us the perils of college athletics, McElrathbey puts life in perspective.
If there is anything just left in this world, McElrathbey will earn his NFL contract someday and so will his brother. They seem to deserve it.

3 Comments:

At 9:15 PM , Blogger Dan Edwards said...

Great Story. Thanks for sharing that link with us.

Most kids will rise up to face adversity if they are given the chance and some simple advice. I really hope things turn out well for that young man.

I wonder if they might be better off declining future scholarship money in exchange for community support.

I don't have much faith in the NCAA having the common sense to waive whatever crap is keeping this fine young man from being able to accept help in taking care of his little brother and keep his probably well earned football scholarship. I really hope the NCAA does the right thing here.

 
At 11:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OFF TOPIC: I'm trying to contact you directly but there is no email link. Feel free to delete.

I’m writing an article for a national education magazine about how to hire teach savvy teachers in a K-12 setting. I was wondering if you had some thoughts on this and would be kind enough to post my questions (and contact information) in your blog:

What makes a tech savvy teacher? (Is it attitude or knowledge of specific minimum of hardware/software packages?)
How should a tech-savvy teacher create lesson plans? What is the mix of off-the-shelf apps, teacher-created projects/apps and traditional media (books etc.)?
Is tech-savvy teaching actually more effective than traditional teacher methods or is it really just a dazzling death by PowerPoint? What makes it effective?
When hiring a teach-savvy teacher what are some do’s and don’ts? What are some warning signs?

I’m on a killer deadline, so a quick response would be appreciated. Please email me directly (don@writethefirsttime.com).

Thanks,
Don Lipper
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
We get it...
WRITE THE FIRST TIME, INC.
www.WriteTheFirstTime.com
Snappy content you can count on.
Journalism * Newsletters * Marketing Materials
Phone: 212-380-1515 or 530-852-0310
Fax: 530-309-0316
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 
At 2:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the first story. That is inspiring, and it reminds me to think of my kids' home lives. I wouldn't be surprised if I have some at least on their way to that lifestyle. Kids can be so impressive.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home