Monday, March 26, 2007

Tall People Have Feelings Too

This is a general observation that I promised a good friend I'd blog about. My friend is 6'6", and I am a mere 5'9". The other day I went golfing with him. As we exited the clubhouse, headed towards the first hole, a middle-aged man quipped, "Well, I think you exceed the height requirement." These statements boil my friend's blood, so I told the man that I appreciated finally getting recognized as tall.
What makes the story even more interesting is that we have another mutual friend who is 5'4". I can guarantee that the middle-aged man would have remarked about that friend's lack of height. So, why do people feel it is acceptable to comment on height when someone is tall, but no one believes it is acceptable to quip about someone who is short?
If you are much taller than the average for your gender, do you feel the same way as I do? And if you are, I'm not going to lie, I am jealous that you have to deal with that problem.

3 Comments:

At 8:06 PM , Blogger ms-teacher said...

As a woman on the short side (5'0"), I always get comments about my height. I've had a parent excuse her daughter's behavior towards me by stating that she couldn't respect me because I am short.

I think, though, that for men that comments are probably not made to guys who are on the shorter side due to the fact our society places such a premium on men being tall. Too many assume that men who are tall appreciate the comments that are tossed their way.

 
At 1:19 PM , Blogger MountainLaurel said...

I'm a tall woman, about 5'9". The one that really gets me is "OH, I bet you have no problem buying clothes!" The opposite it true. Everything is too short!

 
At 2:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a 5'10" woman: and I want to thank all the folks who believe that I have probably forgotten; those people who make it a point to tell me how tall I am. But my situation isn't half as frustrating as my son's. He's 6'8" - and probably weighs 140 soaking wet. He has now started anticipating the remarks and simply showing the palm of his hand to the offender before he or she can work up a head of steam. But I admit, he has had days when he finds the comments so intrusive that he has countered with remarks like "Yes I am: and you are very bald."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home