Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Substitutes

Like many teachers, I substituted before getting hired as a full-time teacher. I hated it--not becuase of the unruly students, I handled them well, but because I couldn't get to know the students. One day I went to a middle school in a district, the next day I went to a high school in a different district. Plus, I just djidn't have enough appropriate stories to keep students' attention when the lesson plans lacked substance for a fifty minute period.
The New York Times has an article about an 81 year old substitute who does have enough stories to tell. This substitute reminds me of one in the district I teach at.
Isn't it wonderful when the patriarchs and matriarchs of our profession still have something offer the students of today? But even more wonderful is that these men and women still have the desire to influence students--who many in society couldn't care less about.

Don't forget to go vote for Best Blog of the Year: I'm nominated along with many other spectacular blogs--Check them all out so you can make an informed vote!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home