Saturday, February 02, 2008

Creating a Riot?

FoxNews has as tory of three thirteen year old girls who were "cited for 'hurling missles.'" Those missles were french fries. Normally, I would put this in the category of adults ruining everything. A citation from the police for trying to start a food fight seems too harsh for the infraction. The article reports that the student body was warned the day before, but these girls still tested the rule.
Today though, I reacted with very little empathy for the students. At some point in our nation's educational philosophy, we stopped holding students accountable for their actions. I can have a student walk out of my class and recieve a warning from the administrators. Too often administrators, fearing reprecussions from parents, soften punishments for students. The theorists tell us that these kids are fragile, that punishments only hurt the child.
After what I have experienced already this year, I am fed up with students acting like morons and getting away with it based on their age. When I was thirteen, I never once threw food in the cafeteria, walked out of class, swore at a teacher, or took part in any other insanely stupid actions. Did I talk back? Sure. I recieved a detention for it. When I whined to my dad, he told me to knock it off and then grounded me.

1 Comments:

At 9:32 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right. - Proverbs 20:11
We do children no favors by removing consequences from actions.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home