Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Stressed

I can't remember feeling this stressed out at the start of the school year. After teaching summer school outside of district, and after two solid weeks of heat and humidity, I don't feel prepared for tomorrow. Of course, after creating a new elective--Sports Literature--only to be told that the scheduled period conflicts with my team's common planning period and so I won't be teaching the class, my level of stress shot through the roof. I had wanted to create this class for two years, and now after its creation it's being taken from me, I can't help but feel a little disheartened.
Oh well, it is what it is.
I hope that this school year builds on what we accomplished last year. Our first school-wide food drive provided seven families with nearly 500 food items and the local food bank with nearly 2,000 food items. Our two Staff vs. Senior events, basketball and softball, brought the school community together in a way we've long needed. But there is more to accomplish, and I have to remember that it isn't about me, to quote Rev. Rick Warren. There is the greater good of the school to keep in mind. It would be irresponsible of me to dwell on the perceived slight and lose focus on improving the school. But I won't lie, it's difficult.

1 Comments:

At 6:50 PM , Blogger Amerloc said...

Ouch.

I never worked a district or a school where the schedule for the next year hadn't been released before teachers left for the summer. After the year started and final enrollments had coalesced, we saw some changes, mostly minor adjustments. Obviously, I was spoiled.

I can't help but feel as if your school is being short-sighted: nothing I ever encountered matched the dynamic or learning of a teacher-created course.

On the bright(er) side, the course is designed, ready-to-roll, and your enthusiasm for the content won't diminish by being put on hold, and letting it simmer in the back of your mind for another year won't hurt it - you'll adjust, revise, improve the content and delivery both.

The whole situation sux, though, What a blow to begin the year with.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home