Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Senioriffic

Because I am yet to receive the various novels I will use for the Sports Literature class, I have been asking my students to explore the broader topics: What is a sport? Why do we love sports?
But I'm getting antsy and need to actually have some real student work produced. So this morning, I introduced sports journalism. We examined the "Feature Column" by looking at three basic types: the News related, the Informative, and the Human Interest (taken from BlueNose Edutainment).
After our Do Now journal entry on whether sports build character or reveal character, I introduced the concept of the "Feature Column." With ten minutes remaing, I asked my students to begin reading the three articles I provided so that they could put them into a category.
Two students read diligently. One student went to the nurse. One student tried to read, but found the side-conversations intriguing. Two students worked on AP Statistics--an assignment likely due the following period.
I don't know whether to feel put off, upset, accepting, or indifference. Had we started the year together (the class is only a week or so old due to scheduling issues), these behaviours wouldn't exist, so soon.

2 Comments:

At 4:47 PM , Blogger Mr. B-G said...

Why not have the kids produce actual articles for the school newspaper or for a class blog?

Take a field trip to the Basketball Hall of Fame and have them do a feature stories about their visit, focusing on different aspects of the Hall.

 
At 4:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have the materials late arrival problem because they were not ordered in a timely fashion by office/admin? the budget delay? or an unusual glitch?
BTW I see you are doing a wonderful job filling in the time productively.
Have you explored the difference in reporting happenings and injecting the writer's opinion? we see so much of that these days in 'journalism' I suspect it is now expected when reporting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home