Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Great Divide

What do you do when a sports team from your school makes the state tournament? Celebrate, right? A pep assembly the day before? But, consider this dilemna. On the day before the big game, an assembly is already planned. This assembly is to promote success on the state's standardized test.
Well, we combined the assembly. Half of the assembly period will pep up nearly half of the students who will take the test, the other half of the assembly period will pep up anyone interested in our basketball team.
I have not heard any complaints from the sports community, at least none have gone out of their way to vocalize their displeasure to me, and I am part of the coaching community. I have heard complaints from teachers who are in the midst of preparing students for the state exam. I am also part of that community.
I find it unfortunate that too often one or the other community feels slighted, although from experience, it is typically the academics. I mean, aren't we here to learn? I just wish the strict academics, or the test-driven teachers could understand the importance of athletics. I feel the coaching community does an fine job of stressing the importance of academics, especially considering players must meet and hold a certain G.P.A. to play.
Students need to feel connected to their school, and athletic teams can offer a source of pride. Sure, some don't even like athletics so why should they care. Well, here's why: when their peers put on a uniform with the school's name and logo emblazoned on their chest, those athletes are representing the entire school. As a teacher, I want those students to represent me well, and when they do, I am proud. Similarly, when a student applies to a college, one that has difficult admissions requirements, and is accepted, I am proud.
I firmly believe that when students connect to their school and their school community, the positive vibe in the halls, however distracting it can be, carries over to the academics. We don't have to give up one to succeed in the other. And when teachers publicly frown on the academics, they fail to recognize the diligent and strenuous efforts of those athletes. Can you imagine a coach publicly frowning on the academic achievements of the National Honors Society? It's ludicrous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home