Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Standard Rejection

I've never claimed to be the smartest person in the world, but I think I recognize a trend from my two rejections here in Connecticut. When the school is not interested in an applicant's services, they say, "We've chosen an candidate who has more years of experience and experience in the courses available."
Okay, so I am not the candidate that the school is looking for. I can understand that. But what I don't get from that response is any insight on how to be better. I can't change how many years I have taught except by teaching more--which can't happen if I don't have a job. Plus, for the majority of my career, there will be plenty of people with more years of experience. I also cannot change what courses I have been asked to teach.
I did a damn good job teaching scholastic's READ 180 course at my previous school. But if I had my choice, I would have taught American Literature or World Literature in addition to the Pre-College English. I didn't have the choice. Why? Because the other teachers there had been teaching longer--which means they get what they want.
So what do I take from these two rejections? I have had three reactions since finding out:
1. Depression--Rejection hurts. Especially for someone as cocky as me. Maybe I am not as good as I think I am, or as good as my previous adminstrators thought.
2. Anger--Really? Put me next to the teachers you hired and let the students decide. I'll put my skills against anyone.
3. Acceptance--That's fine. Everything's fine, as a good friend is prone to saying. I have two interview remaining this week. I'm good enough to wow them.

1 Comments:

At 6:30 PM , Blogger Ms. V. said...

Good luck on your two interviews! Maybe it just wasn't the school for you.

I know it feels like crap, though. I'm sorry.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home