Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Hey, Mister...

"Hey Mister, I don't fit in any of these chairs." Those were the first words I heard from my group of seniors this year. And he was right, he didn't fit in any of the chairs. So, I gave him mine.
"Are you Kathleen?" Those were the first words I heard from my sophomore group. I replaced a teacher whose last name is one letter differnt than mine, and she was a female. I hope the questions get better as the year goes on.
My first day at my new school went well. This morning was the first time I had seen any students other than the two students who volunteered to help just before school began. It was not what I expected.
I thought I had come up with a fun ice breaker, but most of my students did not engage. I had written forty or fifty questions, ranging from odd to semi-personal, on a beach ball. The ball got tossed around the room and the receiver had to answer the question that his or her left thumb touched. Most said, "I don't know."
However, one ninth grader felt comfortable enough to answer the question, "What is the first thing you notice about someone when you meet them for the first time?" Without hesitation he answered, "The girl's ass. I like a nice round one." Yeah, as my buddy Stence (I think I might just add my buddy Stence into as many posts as possible this year) would say, I don't know what to do with that.
And with that, I am off to watch the Red Sox play the Yankees. Go Sox.

6 Comments:

At 6:41 PM , Blogger Dan Edwards said...

HEY ! Glad to hear you landed on your feet in CT. I have a brother living there, in Stamford.

I like your beach ball idea. I think that would work well with my 7th graders.

Hispanic names....maybe it is too late to try this, but maybe you could have your students stand and say their names?

GO SOX ! ( my Dad was born in Dorchester! )

 
At 11:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:58 PM , Blogger Ms. V. said...

Well, you DID ask him what he noticed...and he DID answer.

LMAO

 
At 1:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact, I definitely "would not know what to do with that" other than just move on. Reminds me of a senior both you and I had last year that was not afraid to speak her mind.

 
At 10:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, I'm just sitting here in my office laughing. Sounds like you're in for an interesting year, Andrew.

Cheers,
Flannery

 
At 6:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew,
As a newbie to the education blogging world I just recently discovered your site. I am impressed with your tag line, "teaching as a calling". This is what it should be for every one who steps in front of children. I also enjoyed this post and would respectfully invite you to read a post that uses your phrase, "Hey Mister" a couple of times also. Like Debbie said, great work and keep all of us laughing.
post: http://www.openeducation.net/2007/08/22/beginning-yet-another-school-year/
Tom Hanson
Editor
Openeducation.net

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home