Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Positive Behavioral Support

Here at my new high school, we are implementing a new philosophy of student discipleship. The PBS, no not that PBS, philosphy encourages students to become responsible and respectful in their approach to education.
Now, I am all for positive approaches to discipleship, but did I really need to spend every period--56 minutes each--teaching the subtle differences between responsibility in the hallway and responsibility in the cafeteria? Probably not. But as with any initiative the costs money, we couldn't just spend one period talking about; no, we had to spend every period talking about.
By the end of the day, the students were not so into the Positive Behavioral Support theory. No, one sophomore group caused a first year teacher to tears as they berated PBS and ulitmately her.
With NCLB breathing down this school's neck, we had to take action. I fear that it won't be enough. Why? Because we can't change a family's approach to education. This statement opens me up to criticism from the Direct Instruction advocates, who claim that DI is the method for helping all students achieve. First, I think, we need willing participants in any program in order for it to achieve success. When students come to class ready to learn, then I think they will learn.

2 Comments:

At 7:56 PM , Blogger Ms. V. said...

I've been at this gig.

If I had a nickel for every program that claimed to be the only way, I'd be so stinkin' rich.

You should add that to a list of sorts...in the 10 most annoying teachers vain/vein (too lazy to spellcheck)!

 
At 7:57 PM , Blogger Ms. V. said...

That was cut off! I've been at this gig since 1981 I should say!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home